Many people suffering from skin issues are usually looking at whether the issue has a permanent solution. The same approach applies to people suffering from scalp psoriasis. However, there is no comprehensive guide available online to determine if scalp psoriasis is curable. Therefore, many patients are left wondering how effective their current treatment plan shall be in the long term. Therefore, we have compiled a complete guide here covering the question “is scalp curable permanently”
Is Scalp Psoriasis Permanently Curable?
Nowadays, there is no complete cure or reversal method available for scalp psoriasis. In most cases, it is a condition that will remain throughout your life. However, there are ways to manage the condition and possibly place it in remission for some time. Such treatment options can make a living with scalp issues easier for the patient.
Is it Scalp Psoriasis?
Before determining treatment options, it is crucial to determine whether the person is suffering from scalp psoriasis itself. In many cases, people often confuse other conditions with scalp psoriasis. One common misconception is with Seborrheic Dermatitis. This condition causes a red rash and patchy skin similar to psoriasis. Mostly, it affects young children. The key aspect to note is that your skin will look moist and greasy if you suffer from Seborrheic Dermatitis instead of scalp psoriasis.
Similarly, people suffering from Ringworm may often confuse their red rash and crusty scalp issues with scalp psoriasis. The key determining factor here is the underlying reason for the condition. Ringworm is a fungal infection that can be cured with different medications permanently. On the other hand, scalp psoriasis is caused by immunity disorder which results in inflammation. Such a condition can be managed at best.
What are the risk factors related to Scalp Psoriasis?
Knowing the risk factors is important to ensure that scalp psoriasis treatment can be done effectively. Avoiding the risk factors is an essential way to reduce chances of a serious symptom trigger:
- Loose Weight: Obesity is related to increased chances of inflammation, which becomes severe if a person is suffering from scalp psoriasis.
- Gluten-free Diet: People who are sensitive to Gluten must consume a gluten-free diet. Such diets can reduce the chances of bodily reactions causing severity in psoriasis symptoms.
- Protect your skin: An injured skin can trigger the growth of new cells to replace the damaged ones. However, people suffering from scalp psoriasis may experience an exceptional growth rate of replacement cells, causing flaky skin.
- Avoid infections: Strep throat infection can be a trigger for extreme psoriasis symptoms. Avoid contacting such infections and get them treated as soon as possible.
- Avoid Stress: Remaining stress-free is the first step towards reducing symptoms of psoriasis—stress affects everything, from inflammation to the immune system. If you are stress-free, you have better chances of avoiding a serious scalp psoriasis trigger.
Consulting a Doctor
If you are unsure about your condition, make sure you see an experienced doctor guide you about the best treatment options—usually, it’s best to consult the doctor as soon as a new rash starts to develop. Doctors carry out comprehensive physical exams to determine if the symptoms being depicted are comparable to scalp psoriasis. In some cases, they may suggest a skin biopsy for exact determination. Also, it is common for scalp psoriasis to flare up from time to time. However, with proper medical treatment, the symptoms can be controlled properly.
Finally, it is important to consider how the symptoms can be controlled during a flare-up if scalp psoriasis is not treatable. One option is to opt for medical ointments or creams. These creams have clobetasol propionate, salicylic acid, and coal tar in them. Such ingredients can help reduce inflammation and make your skin less susceptible to damage. Similarly, different shampoos use these ingredients for the following purposes as well:
- Salicylic Acid: This acid helps your skin’s outer layer to shed fast. This way, the skin softens, and the scales start to reduce that are formed by scalp psoriasis. However, excessive use of these ingredients can irritate and damage the hair in the long term.
- Coal Tar: This ingredient helps to reduce the pace of cell growth. However, the smell may cause irritation and safety concerns for some people.
- Clobetasol Propionate: The product is considered very effective in keeping psoriasis symptoms under control. However, its recommended usage is in small amounts only.
Ultraviolet Light Therapy
Phototherapy is now being used as an effective option for psoriasis treatment. Laser treatments have proven to reduce the symptoms of scalp psoriasis manifold. However, tannings beds are not recommended for psoriasis treatment as they may increase the risk of melanoma.
Many people prefer home-based natural remedies to avoid the side effects of medicinal treatments. Apple cider vinegar, aloe vera, oatmeal, tea tree oil, capsaicin ointment, dead sea salts, Oregon grape, Soratinex, and turmeric are considered effective natural and home-based remedies for scalp psoriasis.
How to Manage Scalp Psoriasis?
The following actions can help manage the scalp psoriasis condition effectively:
- Seek treatment on time. Avoiding treatment can exasperate the issue.
- Always keep your scalp moist to avoid scratching and itching.
- Massage your scalp gently. Please do not use any hard objects as they can damage the skin further.
- Avoid all triggers as much as possible to ensure no flare-up occurs.
Similarly, avoid any injuries to other body parts because the condition can spread to other areas.
Systematic medication options to control the symptoms include methotrexate, oral retinoids, cyclosporine, and biological therapies. All these options have varying levels of effectiveness depending on the individual situations and conditions of the clients. In some cases, such medication may not be recommended if the condition is too severe. Additionally, some people may get more relief by combining different therapies. Consult your doctor for better information in this regard.
Treating your scalp psoriasis the right way can reduce the severity of its symptoms. Ensure that you begin your treatment as early as possible.